2013 is coming to an end, which means its time to bid farewell to Emerald and welcome Radiant Orchid – Pantone’s colour of the year for 2014.
Also known as 18-3224, the purple hue has been named the shade de rigeur for fashion, interiors and graphic design in the year ahead by Pantone, which says it has spent a year combing the world for colour influences.
While 2013’s chosen shade was a symbol of growth, renewal and prosperity, 2014 offers “a reach across the colour wheel to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination,” says Pantone. “An enchanting harmony of fushcia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm,” it adds.
For those interested in its cosmetic benefits, Pantone says the shade can be paired with lavenders, purples and pinks for an assortment of lipstick and blush options, and Radiant Orchid garments will give both men and women a rosy glow, “making all who wear it feel more healthy and energetic”. Interior designers can use it to complement olive green, teal, turquoise or yellow, or to lift neutrals such as grey and cream.
There’s good news, too, for all you creative types: Radiant Orchid offers “an invitation to innovation,” says Pantone, and encourages “expanded creativity and originality, which is increasingly valued in today’s society.” Quite.
So there you have it: the shade that Pantone says will dominate packaging, product and interior design and the catwalk for the next 12 months. Please do let us know how you’ll incorporate this energising, mind-expanding hue into your lives and in case you were wondering, here’s a list of winners since 2000.
· PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald (2013)
· PANTONE 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
· PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
· PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
· PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
· PANTONE 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
· PANTONE 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
· PANTONE 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
· PANTONE 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
· PANTONE 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
· PANTONE 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
· PANTONE 19-1664 True Red (2002)
· PANTONE 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
· PANTONE 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)