Last year it was Marsala (surely you remember?). This year, Pantone has nominated two Colours of the Year – pale blue Serenity and dusky pink Rose Quartz.
Couldn’t they decide between them? Apparently the choice of two is not a compromise but instead was made because they are “a harmonious pairing of inviting shades that embody a mind-set of tranquility and inner peace,” says Pantone. They were chosen in response to consumers seeking mindfulness and well-being as an antidote to the stresses of modern day life, apparently.
Pantone Color Institute executive directlor Leatrice Eiseman says: “In many parts of the world we are experiencing a gender blur as it relates to fashion, which has in turn impacted colour trends throughout all other areas of design.
“This more multilateral approach to colour is coinciding with societal movements toward gender equality and fluidity. The consumers’ increased comfort with using colour as a form of expression includes a generation that has less concern about being typecast or judged, and an open exchange of digital information. This has opened our eyes to different approaches to colour usage.”
Previous Colours of the Year:
· PANTONE 18-1438 Marsala (2015)
· PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid (2014)
· PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald (2013)
· PANTONE 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
· PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
· PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
· PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
· PANTONE 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
· PANTONE 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
· PANTONE 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
· PANTONE 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
· PANTONE 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
· PANTONE 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
· PANTONE 19-1664 True Red (2002)
· PANTONE 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
· PANTONE 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)